The MARCS Group has been active behind the scenes trying to move forward with the search for a future home of Motorsports in Calgary.
The group met last week for the first formal meeting of the season and provided the following updates:
The creation of a Basic Development Document be created to identify a number of issues including:
- The inclusion of grandstands for viewing motorsports events and for potential outdoor concerts.
- Possibility of space to house a gun range in the event that the Calgary police Service elects to work with the group of a facility
- Flexibility in space and design to add other complimentary facilities such as gas stations, performance and racing supplies, etc
A suggestion was raised and passed that the group create and organize a governance subcommittee to start working on the best way to own and operate this facility. This subcommittee also gets others from the Motorsports community involved and shows we are moving forward.
The group will try to solicit LOI’s from two potential parties so that the group can evaluate each and then make final recommendations to all the stakeholders.
As the time is getting closer and closer to identifying a future site for a new Motorsports facility, there is a need to move forward on a number of tasks, the first being the establishment of a Governance Committee.
The Governance committee will review, research and evaluate the existing methods of operating a Motorsports/Entertainment facility using best practices in evaluating all aspects including non-profit versus for-profit.
The Governance Committee will consist of 6 members. The membership should have a cross section of skill-sets or experience in one of the following areas.
- Legal background
- Experience in establishing a major facility
- Knowledge of government programs
- Knowledge of existing facilities
- Knowledge of aspects surrounding Motorsports or entertainment
- Research acumen
If you would like to become involved in the Governance Committee, please forward a letter stating your interest and the assets you would be able to bring to this endeavour to the attention of:
MARCS - Governance Committee
Future Committees will be involved with:
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Others as the need develops